Mold Treatment Guidelines

Every year, thousands of homeowners must choose the best option for performing a mold treatment. However, there seems to be a lot of doubt about the best solution to take when faced with this difficult decision. Many people think to themselves, “Is it possible for me to clean it up myself? May I hire a specialist to support me? Would it have an effect on my health?” Check Mold Treatment.

Before deciding how to proceed, there are three main determining factors to consider.

What is the extent of the mold problem? The size of a mold cleanup and treatment project will decide whether it’s a do-it-yourself project or not. A 3 by 3 foot (9 square foot) area is a factor to consider when making such a decision. If the area is larger than 9 square feet, it is usually too much for the average homeowner to handle.

What kind of mold is it, exactly? The type of mold species can also be a big deciding factor, and it can take anywhere from 3 to 10 days for test results to come back. This can be a problem because no one wants to wait too long to clean up mold if the building is inhabited. Since the mold can be washed up days before test results are received, this is a judgement call.

In the home world, who lives? Prior to making a decision, the health and well-being of family members should always be a top priority. Is there anybody living there with a weakened immune system? Do you have any young children at home? Is there anybody in the house who suffers from serious allergies or asthma? These are all crucial questions to consider before attempting a mold cleanup on your own.

Mold treatment plans can range from simply spraying and wiping a few spots of mould off a wall with a bleach solution to completely isolating a mold-infested area to removing all infected wall board. Many homeowners have used the 9 square foot rule with no negative effects, but it can only be used if the three questions mentioned above in “Who lives in the home environment?” are completely answered.